Currently 700,000 people in the UK have dementia and this figure is expected to double over the next few decades. The Dementia qualifications will help to improve the knowledge and skills of health and social care workers supporting individuals living with dementia. The Qualification number is 3565-22.
Target Group and Size
The Level 2 Certificate in Dementia Care is aimed at anyone who is working in a paid or voluntary capacity with people who have dementia. This includes people who are working in statutory (including NHS), private and voluntary agencies. Typical job roles would be healthcare/care assistants, support/key workers, family support workers, activities co-coordinators, day centre workers etc. For the level 2 it is likely that they would have at some experience of working with older people who have dementia.
Minimum group size is 10 and a maximum is 16 students.
We use the official workbooks, handouts and training methods that have been produced by Jackie Pool Associates that have been endorsed by City and Guilds. Some of our Dementia trainers have been trained by Jackie Pool herself.
There are five mandatory units with a total of 14 credits:
- Unit DEM 201 –Dementia Awareness
- Unit DEM 204 – Understand and implement a person centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit DEM 209 – Equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care practice
- Unit DEM210 – Understand and enable interaction and communication with individuals with dementia
- Unit DEM 313 –Approaches to enable rights and choices for individuals with dementia whilst minimising risks